Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

Darn you, learning logs!


Next week, we go school wide with the weekly learning logs. Since I made the assignment, I decided to do a trial run today. Of course, I expected it to be an easy day. I was trying not to talk much due to a sore throat, but the best made plans...

I discussed the learning log with the students. I explained how this is going to be used throughout the school, that they will see it in all classes, that I will make them the experts, blah, blah, blah. I discussed how they do not have to address the four questions directly but are to use them as a guide for their response, as the response will depend on what they have learned in a class for the week. I waxed eloquent on the need to write in specific detail and not just make a list, using complete sentences, capitalization, and punctuation. 

I feel like all I did all day was waste my time and breath repeating myself. Days like this make me wonder if I am really doing any proficient teaching at all. 



Is this a complete sentence? Did this happen in the story?
I do not remember blood.

No, dear. This is not specfic. Nor did you know all of this.
You told me so in class. And you do not read outside of class.
Oh, thank goodness. We are at least headed in the correct direction.

Thank you. Someone listened in class and read the directions.






All right, all right. Maybe I do not have to quit after all.




So what have I learned from this?
  • My students need explicit teaching on how to write about what they have been taught during the week. 
  • My students need a review of what they have learned during the week before writing about what they have learned during the week. 
  • The non-English teachers are about to feel some English teacher pain when it comes to reading student writing. Wahahahahahahahahaha!

2 comments:

  1. Can you attach an example of your rubric for the learning log?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you click the weekly learning log link above, it will take you to the original learning log post. The rubric is linked in that post.

    ReplyDelete