Search This Blog

Monday, November 4, 2013

Format Matters: Day one reflection

Wow! Another strategy that works. Initially, the kids were a bit frustrated, but I explained that this was also going to be an issue for me, too. I was going to have to pay attention and work with them to help build this structure. I did have to provide sentence starters about half of the time. Otherwise, the kids were working really hard to get the words right. They were correcting themselves along the way. That's always a bonus. I'm interested to see how this progresses. 

The best reaction of the day: "I don't know how to speak in complete sentences!"

Did you give it a shot? How did it work for you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi- I just saw your blog on edmodo and am enjoying looking through it. I hadn't heard of this as a strategy before, but when I taught kindergarten I used to prompt students to speak in full sentences every time they responded. It makes so much sense to do it with 8th graders, too, so I don't know why I haven't thought about making it a priority before now. I read through the Format Matters material and watched the video a couple of times, so I'll start on Monday and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing! -Kara

    ReplyDelete